Monday, 30 June 2014

Keshi, Yobo quit Super Eagles

Super Eagles coach, Stephen Okechukwu Keshi has resigned his appointment after leading the team to the second round of the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
Speaking after the Eagles were eliminated by France in the round of 16 match in Brasilia, Monday, the Delta State-born tactician said it was time to move on after leading his country’s national team to the Africa Nations Cup trophy last year and the ongoing World Cup in Brazil.
Nigeria's coach Stephen Keshi gives a press conference at the Baixada Arena in Curitiba on June 15, 2014, on the eve of their Group F 2014 FIFA World Cup football match against Iran. AFP PHOTO
Nigeria’s coach Stephen Keshi gives a press conference at the Baixada Arena in Curitiba on June 15, 2014, on the eve of their Group F 2014 FIFA World Cup football match against Iran. AFP PHOTO
“I have to go back to my family and face fresh challenges,” Keshi said.
Similarly, Super Eagles Captain, Yobo Joseph said he has had enough and can go no further as national team player. “I think I should give the younger ones the opportunity to forge ahead. I have nothing new to offer.”

You m

Saturday, 28 June 2014

Chibok girls: Why I have had to remain quiet – Jonathan



President Goodluck Jonathan has reiterated his determination to bring back the more than 200 Chibok school girls saying that his silence in the past was to avoid compromising investigations on the abductions.
In a 514 word opinion piece article published in Friday’a edition of the Washington Post, President Jonathan regretted that his silence on the issue has been misconstrued by critics as a sign of weakness as he confesed that being a father, he is touched by the feelings of the parents of the abducted girls.

Read more

Police avert bloodbath in Kano

The Police in Kano State said it had discovered 13 high calibre Improvised Explosive Devices, IEDs, at Sauna-Fafunga in Dakata area of Kano metropolis.
The Commissioner of Police, Mr Aderenle Shinaba, displayed the devices to newsmen in Kano yesterday.
Shinaba said the explosives were discovered at about 1.30p.m. in a rickety car parked near a Friday Mosque.
A 10 year old boy was said to have alerted the Divisional Police Officer, DPO, of the area when he notice some strange objects in the car..
“When we got the information, we quickly moved in to the place and in the course of screening the vehicle, our anti-bomb squad discovered the explosives.
”We are simply lucky; what we have here now has the capacity of destroying a whole village and  the  Abuja incident would have been a child’s play.
“The explosives were primed to explode when the Juma’at prayer is going on and they can destroy a whole neighbourhood because they are of high calibre,”he said.
He further said the police had to detonate one of them but the Anti-bomb Squad advised that they should be removed from the area.
“The cylinders discovered are of high calibre as they can ruin and destroy a whole village”, the commissioner said.
Shinaba commended the people of Kano for the timely information they gave to the police which saved the situation
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/06/police-avert-bloodbath-kano/#sthash.652X01PA.dpuf

N20m controversy: Charly Boy disgraces Okorocha at Oputa’s burial

Arequiem mass organised for the late Socrates of the Supreme Court, Justice Chukwudifu Oputa at his country home in Oguta Local Government Area of Imo State was disrupted yesterday, when the first son of the former erudite judge, Charles Oputa, a.k.a Charley Boy prevented Governor Rochas Okorocha from paying tribute to his father.
Charly-boy-and-rochas
Eye witnesses said that the mass which was conducted by the Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Rt Rev. Matthew Hassan Kukah at the Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Oguta, went on smoothly until Okorocha was permitted by the Bishop to pay his tribute to the fallen judge.
However, Chief Okorocha, was stopped midway into his speech, by Charley Boy who was visibly infruiated with Kukah for granting the governor the permission to speak. He walked up angrily to the altar and snatched the micro-phone from the governor, to the embarrassment of all the dignitaries present. It was a disgrace to the governor.
Among eminent Nigerians present at the church service included representative of President Goodluck Jonathan, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim, Governors Willie Obiano (Anambra), Theodore Orji (Abia); the Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Chief Emeka Ihedioha and former governors of Anambra State, Senator Chris Ngige and Mr Peter Obi respectively.
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/06/n20m-controversy-charly-boy-disgraces-okorocha-oputas-burial/#sthash.3r1idAvn.dpuf

Popular Posts